After decades of eating either Kellogg Raisin Bran or oatmeal every morning, I've switched to something better - Kellogg ORGANIC Raisin Bran. I saw it offered for the first time at my local Market this weekend. I looked at the price (yep, higher) but it had the USDA Organic seal and that's all the further I had to go to know that it was walking the walk.
I'm one of those people that could eat cereal morning, noon and night. I locked into Kellogg's Raisen Bran in my 20s, probably because I was living near Kellogg's hometown of Battle Creek. It's been my main bran and brand every since. I tried others and always went back. With 30 year's of taste testing experience, here's what I found:
For me, it was better. It seemed like I was eating something instead of munching down Raisin Bran lite. Yes, that also meant that it was less sugary. I can live with that, as can my expanding midlife waistline. What about the slightly higher price? I can't argue about pennies on cereal when I'm willing to pay $3 for a cup of coffee on the road. If my money's that tight, I'll forgo the coffee.
For those who don't know, there are two kinds of USDA Organic according to the list on page 60 of GRUB:
1. USDA 100% Organic is just that, 100% "certified" organic materials excluding water and salt.
2. USDA Organic, which is what the new Kellogg Organic Raisin Bran is, means that 95% of it is certified organic and the remaining 5% must be non-organic ingredients approved by the National Organic Standards Boards or non-organically produced agricultural products not commercially available in organic form.
For the record there are also "Made with Organic Materials" which is 70% or they can "list" organic materials on the list of ingredients, but that's sort of organic greenwash. Listing ONE organic product that's only in 8% of the product, isn't helping the cause very much.
Going "organic" doesn't mean I'll be 100% pesticide free, we have way too many decades of dumb farming techniques to overcome before that will happen, but the pesticide levels will be substantially lower.
Then there is Diane MacEachern's challenge on Big Green Purse - to swap out $1000 of consumer brown spending for $1000 of consumer green spending. Given my consumption level, I just switched out $160 during breakfast. I need to consistenly buy free trade/organic coffee and I could add $365 in just coffee. Then my cousin just told me that by eating more soy, her hot flashes are going away. Humm, time to add organic soy milk to the cereal and rack up another $100.
That's $625 and I haven't even started my day. This is going to be really easy, Diane. Are you such we shouldn't go for $2000 this year?
Thank you Kellogg, for making the swap out choice easier. Having such products INSIDE mainline stores where they are easier to buy, is what did it for me. (Bloggy disclosure: Kellogg didn't pay me to post this. I really do like the stuff.)